Standard Mold Build
- A-Series DME Standard Mold Bases, #2 Steel (28-30R/C)
- Cavity & Core Machined in P-20 Steel Inserts (30-32 R/C) [However, some of the molds we build utilize hardened H-13, S-7, or 420SS (48-58 R/C). We try to recommend core & cavity materials based upon what we know about the project - part material, production amounts, life of the program, cycle requirements, expected maintenance, etc.]
- SPI #3 Cavity Finish
- Water/Cooling lines in Cores and Cavities (and in sub-inserts & slide bodies if feasible) with Jiffy-Plug connectors.
- Guided Ejection system with Spring Loaded Return & Tapped Knock-out holes
- Slides have: Hardened Heel Blocks, and Slide Retainers
- Lifters typically have a Core and a separate lifting rods, Lifter guide bushings, and replaceable gib/couplings
- Tunnel (sub) gate if possible (Edge/Chisel gate if Tunnel gate is not feasible)
- Eyebolt holes in All Plates and Pry Slots
- All Parting lines are either ground or hand blue fit NOT swedged down with fit press tonnage
- All Vents are machine cut or machine ground NOT done by hand grinding
- Hot Runner Systems are typically built in-house with Standard DME components OR purchased from a recomended hot runner supplier.
- Mold is stamped with Customer Name, Part Name, Part Number, Approximate Weight, and Manufacture Date. Inserts and Details are stamped with Material type and Detail Number. "0" corner is stamped in all mold plates.
- If Plating is needed for wear resistance, corrosion resistance, or lubricity/release we typically use Armoloy (a pure chromium plating)
- We are careful NOT to use like-steels on details that wear against each other and typically observe the rule of having 10 points R/C hardness difference as well as using good shutoff angles.
- We are mindful of vulnerable shapes and high wear areas and we try to sub-insert these portions when feasible
- Also, we try to recommend Parting Line Locks, Switches, Early Ejector Return Systems, Accelerated Ejectors, as well as other components and peripherals when we believe they are necessary.
For more information on how Blackwell Plastics can support your plastic injection molds or extrusion dies, call Project Engineering at 713 643-6577 or click ask an engineer.